PersiMon® add a great flavour to this warming slow-cooked pork dish.
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking: 1 hour 20 minutes
- 2 PersiMon®
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- 500g lean pork chunks (shoulder is good)
- 1 large red or brown onion, sliced
- 3 celery sticks, sliced
- 1 large red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 300ml dry cider
- 400ml chicken stock
- 1tsp ground coriander
- 1tsp ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3-4tsp chicken gravy granules
- Fresh parsley sprigs, to garnish
- Cut the leafy tops from the PersiMons® and chop the flesh into chunks.
- Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole and add the pork. Cook over a medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes, turning occasionally, until well-browned (important for a good flavour).
- Add the onion, celery, red pepper and PersiMon® and cook for 2 minutes, then pour in the cider and stock. Stir in the coriander and cumin and season with black pepper. Cover and cook on the hob over a low heat for 1hour 15 minutes, or cook in the oven for the same time (preheated to 190°C, fan oven 170°C, Gas Mark 5).
- Just before serving, stir in the chicken gravy granules to thicken. Check the seasoning, adding salt and black pepper, if needed. Serve, garnished with parsley.
Cook’s tip: Serve with baked potatoes (cooked in the oven for 1 hour) or with creamy mash and green veg, such as broccoli or cabbage.
Recipe photography and stylist by Donna Crous.