Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
- 2 Spanish Persimon, leafy tops removed
- 3 large eggs
- 200g caster sugar, plus 2 tbsp
- 200g self-raising flour
- 2tsp baking powder
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 130g mascarpone cheese, or other soft cheese of your choice
- 60ml sunflower oil
- 50g ground almonds
20cm (8 inch) cake tin, greased and lined
- Preheat oven to 190°C/fan 170°C/gas mark 5.
- Slice the Persimon thinly into rounds.
- Beat the eggs and 100g of the sugar together until they are thick and foamy, using a hand-held electric mixer on high for 3-4 minutes.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and cinnamon with a pinch of salt. Gently fold into the egg mixture, using a large metal spoon.
- In a separate bowl, beat the cheese, oil and remaining 100g of caster sugar together (reserving the 2 tbsp) then add to the batter.
- Spoon about 2/3 of the mixture into the lined tin and spread out evenly. Top with the sliced Persimon, arranging it in an even layer. Cover with the rest of the mixture.
- Mix the ground almonds with the 2tbsp caster sugar and sprinkle over the top.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for approximately 1 hour, testing with a fine skewer to make sure that it is cooked. Bake for a few minutes longer if required.
- Cool for about 20 minutes in the tin, then remove carefully and place on a rack until cold.
Cook’s tip: Sieve a little icing sugar and cinnamon over the top, slice and serve with a
drizzle of honey or some pouring cream.