Make this spectacular Persimon® star tart for a vegetarian treat.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
- 1 Spanish Persimon®
- 4tbsp olive oil
- 2 red onions, finely sliced
- 2 bulbs fennel, sliced into thin wedges
- 1tbsp chopped fresh thyme, plus sprigs to garnish
- 2 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 1tsp finely grated lemon zest
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 x 270g pack filo pastry, thawed if frozen
- 80g butter, melted
- 2tsp Dijon mustard
- 25g Parmesan shavings
- Remove and discard the leafy top from the Spanish Persimon®, then slice the fruit neatly. Cover and set aside.
- Heat 2tbsp olive oil in a large frying pan and fry the onions until soft. Remove from the pan and cool. Add the remaining oil to the frying pan and gently fry the fennel until golden – about 6-7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, then add 5tbsp water, the thyme, garlic and lemon zest. Cover with a lid and simmer for 8-10 minutes. Cool.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C, fan oven 200°C, Gas mark 7. Grease a large baking sheet with melted butter.
- Unroll the sheets of filo pastry. Brush each sheet of pastry lightly with butter, stacking them on top of each other on the baking sheet to form a large circle (you will need to put each sheet on top of the last at a different angle).
- Spread the mustard evenly over the centre of the pastry (about 20cm across). Scatter the onions on top, then arrange the fennel and Persimon® slices on top, fanning them out into a star shape. Sprinkle with Parmesan shavings. Scrunch and fold the pastry around the edges of the tart. Bake for 20-25 minutes, then serve, garnished with thyme sprigs.
Cook’s tip: Try crumbling some Stilton or feta cheese onto the tart when it’s still warm – or add some slices of Cambozola or Italian Dolcelatte.
|Nutritional values||per 187g serving||per 100g|
|of which saturates||9.1g||4.9g|
|of which sugars||8.5g||4.5g|