This lovely Spanish Persimon® curd is so easy to make, using simple fresh ingredients. For a festive idea, serve for breakfast with lemon icing-drizzled croissants arranged in a star shape – a spectacular treat to share!
Makes 1 jar of curd
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30-45 minutes
- 2 Spanish Persimons®
- 2 egg yolks
- 25g caster sugar
- 25g butter, melted
- Finely grated zest of 1 large lemon
- 6-12 fresh croissants
- 100g icing sugar
- 1-2tbsp lemon juice
- A few glace cherries and rosemary sprigs
- A little icing sugar
- Slices of Spanish persimon
- Remove and discard the leafy tops from the Spanish Persimons®, then chop the fruit. Put into a saucepan with 250ml water and simmer for 20-25 minutes until soft. Puree with a hand-held stick blender, or in a blender. Cool for 10 minutes.
- In a large heatproof bowl, whisk the egg yolks and caster sugar until combined, then stir in the Persimon® puree, melted butter and lemon zest.
- Set the bowl over a large saucepan of gently simmering water and stir with a wooden spoon until the mixture thickens – this will take 10-20 minutes. The mixture thickens more as it cools.
- Pour into a sterilized jar and seal with the lid. Cool, then refrigerate and use within a week.
- To serve, arrange the croissants in a circle, with a bowl of the Persimon® curd in the centre. Mix the icing sugar and lemon juice to make a thin icing. Drizzle over the croissants and decorate with glace cherries and rosemary sprigs dusted with icing sugar. Serve with slices of Spanish Persimon®.
Cook’s tip: Serve the curd with warm scones, toast or soda bread for a yummy treat.
|Nutritional values||per 178g serving||per 100g|
|of which saturates||10.1g||5.6g|
|of which sugars||34.3g||19.3g|